Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Artisan Fair Report

Since I mentioned a few times that I was participating in the Artisan Fair in Bountiful last Saturday, I thought I'd give a report.  Kristi and I woke up in the dead of night (it felt that way) to get to Bountiful by 7:00 am.  (We are total smarty pantses because we loaded her vehicle and backed it into my garage on Friday night so that we could take off like a shot the next morning.)  We got there in plenty of time to set up, but with a major dilemma of how to set up.  We couldn't put any pins or tape on the walls and we couldn't take down any of the framed photos that were there (every other day it's the Gallery Photography Studio).  Kristi and I stared and stared at that little six foot space.  Good thing we had two hours.  Genius hit me first and we rigged my tension rod from our table to the ceiling and taped/pinned my Snowflake Lone Star Quilt to the top. (My father-in-law would be so proud of my jerry-rigging skillz.)
That photo makes me dizzy.  It's a little skewed.  As you see, we had to leave that family portrait behind everything on the wall.
I learned some valuable lessons and I had a lot of fun.  Mostly because I got to spend time (no kids!) with Kristi for the first half of the day and then Allyn for the second half of the day.  We made a few sales and I got a fun custom order from a lady who is decorating her cabin and needed some quilts.
See Allyn's "Leafy Tree Bag" on the left behind the baskets of car seat blankets?  People were fighting over that all day!  It really looked so cool in person that no one could resist it.  (That was one of the items that sold, naturally.)
Remember Cutler's at Five Points?  They were selling cookies two for a dollar!  See, I worked there in high school and we were always on the lookout for "broken" cookies.
The fair was very cute and there were some fun vendors there.  Our booth was next to Vintage Fern all day and I didn't know it until Allyn pointed it out.  She's totally in our virtual quilting bee, A Notion or Two.  How crazy is that?!  I guess that's what happens when you're virtual friends with someone - you don't recognize them in real life.  (She only came by a couple of times, so I don't know if we were in the same room ever.)

I'm guessing this is going to be like most difficult things - I'm going to need to forget how much work it was before I agree to do one ever again. :)

5 comments:

Allison and Noah Riley said...

Beautiful!

I understand my wonderful mother-in-law saw you there! I was so excited when she mentioned she was going. Looks like a great day!

melissa said...

That is the most beautiful six-foot space I've ever seen! Good work. High-five!

Angie said...

How fun! Everything looked gorgeous.

Amy said...

How funny that we were right next to each other! Your stuff looked great! Every time I came to check on my things I didn't see you, maybe I am just retarded.

Shows get easier the more you do them. I have been doing them for a few years now, I've definitely learned alot and am still learning, I think that is just how it goes :)

amylouwhosews said...

I just read all your posts from Allyn's visit! SO so so fun! I wish I was there, and of COURSE she whipped up those awesome headbands for everyone.