Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Grandpa Furniss's Funeral

Grandpa's funeral last Saturday was really lovely - the talks were poignant and the music was perfect.  We heard lots of stories about Grandpa and each one made me smile.  He was really an artist and an observer of the beauty around him.  I came away from it all loving my extended family even more and resolved to teach my children to appreciate life.  (Also, I will need to have grandchildren who can play the violin and the piano.)  The only sad part (and not so sad because I'm really happy they are where they are) was missing Aunt Julie and Uncle Mark.  I thought about them a lot.  They took such good care of Grandpa and helped him make the most of the last 10 or so years of his life.  (Their children represented them so well!)  So, some more photos. :)



After the somber part and in true Lloyd Furniss fashion, everyone broke out the cameras and we laughed and took photos of each other.  "And a one, and a two..."


Then it was back to the church for lunch and looking through photo albums.  I brought the twins and Brian stayed home with a puke-y Bridget.  (Between midnight on Thursday and noon on Friday I changed her bedding five times.  There was also a blow-out diaper and bath for Colin in there somewhere.  It was a bad twelve hours.)
(You gotta love the lighting in churches.)

4 comments:

Allison and Noah Riley said...

whitney = caught with her eyes open during the prayer :).

it was so wonderful to see you this weekend - how you manage to look so graceful and classy after a pukey night with twins in tow, i will never understand. but i will aspire to it!

i left wishing i had two more hours with each of you - never quite enough time, but so wonderful to catch up!

Kristi said...

What a wonderful picture-taking session. You take great pictures, Nicole! And it thrills me to see even more of my boys' clothes on your boys.

Jen said...

Thank you so much for these- I've been watching for them all day. They are priceless. (Just me or is Allyn scratching her bum in that last one? Don't know why I'm looking so mystical....)

melissa said...

Ha! You do have a rather distant expression in that last one, Jen. These are beautiful, Nicole! That first one is especially amazing. So much love.