Sunday, May 15, 2011

Apple Core!

I did it!  I've been slowly putting together a small quilt for Allyn's baby, due in a few weeks.  I bought the pattern in December thinking it would be no problem.  Then I really looked at the pattern and it was so complicated that I almost admitted defeat right away.  An hour here, an hour there and I got everything cut out, just took it one step at a time.  (Sidebar, people ask me how I get any sewing done.  I'm basically trapped in my house a lot.  The babies are often on different schedules and that means my window of opportunity to go anywhere is very short.  That's why I can blog and sew during nap time.  The end.)  Back to my story, I didn't only work on this quilt - I've made car seat blankets, a couple of table runners...  Push has officially come to shove and I had three hours to myself last night to just sew.  And I finished the top!  I can't decide if it's stupid or fantastic, but it's done!


I used almost all scraps from my stash.  Most don't mean anything to me, but I did put in some scraps from the quilts I made for my babies (the red and white gingham), the green with knots is from the car seat cover I made for Melissa, a couple are from the grab bag Allyn and I bought together at Material Girls when she was here last summer, and I had to use owls because they remind me of Allyn.  (I also think of Katy and Allyn every time I say the name of this pattern.  "Apple core."  "Baltimore."  "Who's your friend?"  "ME!")


Can you see the rattles and bottles in the red paisley?  Is this masculine enough?  Allyn's boys are all boy, you know.  Does it need a border?  I keep second-guessing my decisions here.  I wanted it to be something really special because Allyn is my hero.  For real.  This is her sixth baby!  She can do anything.

Sounds like nap time is over.  Until next time...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's really cute! And seriously, I'm imagining right now, Donald getting hit with an apple! It made me laugh out loud. HA! It's nice to know that someone, other than my siblings, remembers that - Adam is totally clueless. :)

melissa said...

That cartoon is the first thing that came to mind when I saw your title. Ha! I think this is awesome and it reminds me of Allyn and her sixth child. Winner!

Ashley said...

Wow! I've never seen a pattern like this, it is awesome. And I'd keep going on and on, but someone needs to be fed. Again.