I found a weird chip board "book" in the shape of a train engine at Robert's Craft. (What the heck do you do with five pieces of chip board shaped like a train engine?) I traced it onto interfacing and sewed it onto my fabric. That SO did not work. Too many little corners and curves. Then I found one small sheet of double sided interfacing. Perfect! I just cut the train engine out with interfacing on it, stuck it to my fabric, and sewed a zig zag around the whole engine. Enough tell! Here's how it turned out:
The trains are made with yellow corduroy and the puffs of smoke are white minky. I'm planning to go CRAZY with the textures on the next ones I make. It's going to be legendary.
I used two layers of needled cotton batting and did the quilting on my machine.
Not bad for a first draft. Can't wait to see what everyone else has done for Sew & Tell Friday.