Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Oh! My! Glory!

I introduced Bridget to my grandparents, her great grandparents, this weekend. They met us (and my parents) at The Golden Corral in Pocatello, Idaho, because that is where they meet anyone who comes into town to visit them. Bridget wore a crown throughout dinner and she observed to me that Grandma Shirley has braids. I thought it was high time I posted a tribute to Grandma Shirley in all her eccentric glory.

Let's start with her hair.
Grandma Shirley is second from the left in this photo from my parents' wedding in January 1972. Her hair is pulled back in a low, braided bun with a few Superman curls at the top of her forehead. (Stop here and appreciate my Dad's tuxedo.)

Here is a photo of Grandma with me, Allyn, Melissa (on Grandma's lap), Katy, and Jennie after our piano recital in the Spring of 1980. Grandma Shirley's hair is pulled back in a low, braided bun with a few curls at the top of her forehead.

You may have some difficulty spotting Grandma Shirley in this photo taken on their front porch in 1987. She is standing second from the left in a yellow dress, hair pulled back in a low, braided bun with a few curls at the top of her forehead. (I'll let you figure our who everyone else is. I dare you to find someone in this picture who doesn't need a haircut.)

We've skipped ahead to 2002. Grandma Shirley is sitting in her backyard pretending to wait her turn to play croquet (she wasn't actually playing with us). She has wrapped a single braid from the base of her head all the way around the top of her head, securing the end of the braid with two barrettes behind her left ear. Viva la difference!

That photo journey over 35 years was to illustrate that Grandma Shirley doesn't care for change. Her hairstyle has been the same for the last 45 years or so. (She added the braid-around-the head style to the repertoire about 15 years ago.) Many (many) other things haven't changed about Grandma's life in that time - the color of the walls in her house, her furniture, her soaps (on TV and in the bathroom), her food storage. You get the idea.

Both of my grandparents don't waste anything. During one visit at their house (Brian and I were allowed into the "museum" to enjoy the day with Grandma and Grandpa before we had a child), Grandma and Grandpa told us about how they found a box of canned meat in their basement. It was meat they'd canned themselves and they figured it to be about 13 years old. If I had found meat old enough to be in junior high in my basement, it would be on the first train to the dump. My grandparents used a can a week until it was gone. They choked that stuff down in Sloppy Joes, spaghetti sauce, soup. As they poked the can opener into the lid of the can of meat every week, they would silently pray that they would hear the sound that meant the meat was bad. It only happened once. "That was a good day," Grandpa Curtis recalled.

Grandma used to crochet every day. She made a "deep purple afghan" for each of her children and grandchildren as a wedding present. Why deep purple? Because it matches my Dad's red hair. (Grandma has a lot of rules of fairness, fashion, propriety. There isn't enough time for me to explain why red hair and deep purple go together.) She also made a smaller blanket for each of the grandkids when they were baptized. (To keep all these blankets straight, Grandma tied a small piece of yarn from the baptism afghan to the wedding afghan. My baptism blanket was light pink and I got a picture of the thread tied to my wedding afghan using my newly discovered macro function on my 2 year-old camera that has been on Auto since I bought it.)

Grandma Shirley likes to say things like, "Oh my glory!" and "I says to Curtis, I says" and "You learn something new every day" and "He/she is just like me." She likes to go to Golden Corral two hours before her guests arrive so that she can finish eating before they get there. That way she can talk without the interruptions of bites of food. In the years when we'd all arrive at the Corral at the same time, we got to witness Grandma getting a plate of just bacon, a plate of just sliced green peppers, a plate of just watermelon wedges. It was a sight to behold. And she would eat every drop of every morsel of food on her plates. Add Grandpa telling the stories ("Fine. You tell it, but I would tell it better.") so that she would eat... and then Grandma retelling the story "correctly" and that meant being at Golden Corral through at least two meals.

So, cheers to Grandma Shirley. She let me drink root beer for breakfast when I was a kid, she taught me how to crochet, how to make raspberry jam, and to keep masking tape, a good Sharpie marker, and lots of Zip-lock bags on hand.

What are your favorite Grandma Shirley-isms?

18 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I love the Golden Corral.

She's so adorable!

melissa said...

How in the world did you find a picture where Grandma Shirley is the best looking person? Secretly that's my baptism day and I'd love a copy of that picture. Also, I think you owe Katy big time for posting that on the internet.

The knowing exactly how I feel business is my favorite of grams. She told me yesterday that she understands how I feel about being frustrated about my house being a mess because she just wants to die. Same thing? No.

Also, why does Kristina always have to post a comment first? Freak.

Nicole said...

Mwahahahahaha! I was going to identify everyone in that picture (from your baptism) and give Katy's glasses their very own spot. "Your glasses are too big for your face." She's gorgeous now, so it's okay. :)

Jess said...

Thank you for the guide to Grandma Shirley for us newbies. :) She's so sweet, but hilarious. Before we had kids and I was in her house, she showed me all of the wedding corsages she got at her grandkid's weddings. She wouldn't let me see the actual wedding pictures- I think they were for another time... maybe... She was also really wanting us to name our daughter Bobbette until someone said it reminded them of a stripper...

hOLLIANN said...

I love the simple things about grandma shirley...you get a good, easy hairstyle...you stick to it. My best friends grandma used to line her purse with tin foil at chuck a rama. Maybe you should teach that one to G-Shir...that might be change she can embrace. I certainly did.

hOLLIANN said...

sorry for my lack of punctuation, apostrophes...capitalization...we have the flu...I am lazy!

Katy said...

I'm suprized you didn't mention car-be-que pizza or the clothes line with Doritoz hanging upside down-to keep them fresh, of course! I think the latter falls under the "Food Storage" category, since the Doritoz in question were about 5 years old.
Gotta love Grandma!

allyn said...

aron got a side-stepped guided tour of their house when we went in 2001. you can't walk through the house facing forward. there is too much stuff, so you must side-step to get through. he noticed the beautiful magnets on the fridge: holographic images from a credit card that was never used of course, and compact discs, which also give a beautiful rainbow effect when you walk by them.
he also got to enter g-ma's "shangri-la". she hangs out there in her underwear during hot weather. one time philip went back there and caught her off guard--"oh glory!"
we are so grateful that she flew across the country to come to our wedding to which she wore a nice white blouse and a floor-length black skirt complete with the braid wrap. aron's brother asked us who the pilgrim at our wedding reception was.

Angie said...

The picture from 1980 (grandma is in a pink frock) looks EXACTLY like a polygamist family. I think Grandma Shirley should become part of some in-depth psychological research study. I bet they'd make all kinds of new discoveries. Maybe she could have an illness named after her? She'd love that.

I can not believe that they ate all of that meat.

Nicole said...

I can't believe I forgot to mention Grandma's obsession with the name "Bobette"! You might have me to thank for the stripper connection, Jessica - although I think I used the word "burlesque."

Brian's favorite Grandma story is the time she gave us a tin of those Danish shortbread cookies to eat on our ride home from their house. We forgot about them until we got home and Brian popped one into his mouth - "I love these!" The very next second he spit the bite out in a cloud of dust and started wiping off his tongue. I checked the date on the bottom of the tin - they were 8 years old. Brian just kept saying, "It should have been you! She's your Grandma!" (Rookie.)

Bump and Erin said...

I absolutely love this post Nicole!! I love interesting people and your grandma is certainly one of those! I laughed out loud at your stories. And I thought my grandma was bad -- absolutely no comparison!! Thanks for sharing!
-Erin

Jen said...

Oh man...you are so dead...so many times over. I love that she wrapped a brain around her head. That made me laugh the hardest. My favorite is the time I stayed overnight with her and we walked to the store to buy bulk chocolate covered raisins which we ate on the walk home. Then we ordered pizza- for some reason Grandpa, Grandma and I needed a whole pizza each- which we choked down with sodas. I barfed all night long while she ran around howling "It's the 24hourflu!!!!" She gave me a bucket and some PeptoBismol. I have not touched a chocolate covered raisin or a Dominos pizza to this day.
Oh! And remember how she made us ride in the stroller while she pushed us around even when we were like ten years old?

Jen said...

P.S. I always wear deep purple on special occasions. And whose idea was it to put me in yellow!?!? Never yellow.

Nicole said...

Thanks for catching my spelling error AFTER everyone has read it. Hee! We need to unearth the picture of Grandma no doubt has of a 10 year-old grandkid in that poor stroller.

Jen said...

Spelling errors give me far too much pleasure. I was just trying to explain to Taylor about those Bobette dolls that looked like Sponge Bob with braids. Good call on the burlesque dancer.

Jess said...

Thank you for saving me from "Bobette" scorn- I think I got in trouble for turning the name down so quickly- she loved the sound of "Bobette Busby."

amylouwhosews said...

I'm so glad to have pictures to go with the stories I've heard. LOVE THE HAIR.

Is she the one who sent jam in a dixie cup and ziploc bag? That is a classic story.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the art of picking others apart! Such fun.........till someone does it to you....eh? :)