Sunday, November 23, 2008

"Don't You Think, Drusilla?"

While Brian was out of town last week I decided to give Bridget's room a makeover. On Monday I switched the closets and made disturbing discoveries. (I neglected to mention the 25 or so magazines I found. Who keeps magazines?) On Tuesday I painted the ceiling while Bridget took a nap. I should say I painted 3/4 of the ceiling while Bridget napped. The last 1/4 I painted while she whimpered on my bed. (What good would a makeover be without my husband being gone and my child sick? Perfect working conditions!) On Wednesday (during Bridget's nap) I put pink on the top half of the walls. PINK! It was the most fun ever. On Thursday morning I painted the bottom half white. And by bottom half I also mean the carpet. How do you not get paint on the carpet when you're painting baseboards? Brian got home Thursday evening and he didn't have to say a word, I know Bridget's room is his new happy place.
I still need to paint the trim around the doors and the doors, but the transformation is so remarkable that I stop and look at her room every time I go down the hall. Melissa, Makenzie and I had a project night on Friday and I made one of the drapes. It's just a really long piece of fabric that needed hemming, but I decided to complicate things by putting beaded trim on it. If I hadn't been at Makenzie's house, I would have been crying and swearing. Not because it was so hard to sew that stupid trim onto the drapes, I just cry and swear every Friday night.

Yesterday Brian hung the chair rail and the toy drapery rods I bought for $7 at JoAnn's. (I really thought that the 60-inch by 90-inch curtains made of the heaviest fabric I've ever worked with were going to snap the drapery rod in half.) Too bad I didn't take any "before" pictures. No one needs to know that our former guest room had become Bridget's night time bedroom where we also kept our luggage, our 6 month supply of toilet paper and paper towels, and a closet full of things I can't bring myself to throw away. Too sad.

Also, do you know any other 2 year-olds who hold a pencil correctly? She's freaking me out.

11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Nicole, it looks awesome!

Mom said...

I think you needed your mother. You put at least 1" tape on the carpet at the edge of the baseboard, then newspapers, or in my case, packing paper,on the floor all around the edges of the room. It looks beautiful! Can't wait to see it!

melissa said...

Wouldn't newspaper stain the carpet, too? (Speaking as someone who has never painted anything.) The room looks precious and Bridget's pencil skills are freak show.

KQ said...

Nicole, you just need to tell Melissa that some of us can't help if our children are perfect geniuses! Well...I guess her kids are pretty smart too. :)

Angie said...

The room looks great, and you take such beautiful pictures of that little girl. Good job.

Jess said...

Very impressive! I really like that room!

Kristi said...

You really do have a way with your camera. Beautiful pictures! I'm so pleased with how her room turned out - inspirational!

kenzie said...

The curtains turned out so cute! I'm so proud of you:) The room looks awesome! Can't wait to see it today (oh by the way, I'm coming to see you today).

Lisa said...

Good job! Maybe I should hire you to come paint my ONE wall that I can't seem to get done :-)

Andrea said...

Very well done!! Now you just need to decide on your vinyl that will be going up next! :)

Dana said...

Your so industrious!