Thursday, June 26, 2008

Of Mice And Mine

One of the words Bridget has learned from being in nursery is "mine." Sort of. She has been saying "mice" a lot lately and it's usually in a pretty forceful tone. I figured out the other day that she thinks she is saying "mine" when she says "mice." Tee he he.

Yesterday was Bridget's 2nd birthday! Two years ago we got a call from our case worker that Bridget had come into the world three weeks early. It was a Sunday afternoon. Bridget's birth mother invited us to visit them in the hospital the next evening. We held Bridget and talked with her birth mother and birth grandmother for a little while. Seeing Brian holding a sweet little baby and looking so confident helped me give in to feeling hope for the first time in a lot of years.

Bridget didn't come home with us until June 28th, 2006. We sat in a room (just the two of us and sometimes our case worker) for almost three hours that evening while her birth mother tried to say good bye. What a strange combination of emotions we felt then (and now thinking about it). The most surprising was guilt. When Bridget's birth mother put Bridget in my arms and had to walk out of the room, it was like watching someone rip out her own heart and hand it to me because I needed it. Brian, Bridget and I had our first family hug that night. Now Bridget asks for family hugs when Daddy gets home from work.
So here we are, two years later! (Here she is contemplating her cake with Clara. We celebrated by going to the park last night with Clara, Kristi, and Dan. Thanks for joining us, guys!) Bridget is our sweet little treasure. She does something every day that fills me up. Sometimes she fills me with pride (folding her arms during the prayers at church), sometimes with fear (climbing tall, unstable things), always with love. Lately in the morning Bridget comes into our room while Daddy is getting ready for work and climbs into bed with me. She gives me big hugs and exclaims, "I LOVE MOMMY!" During one of the hugs she says into my ear, "I watch Elmo." Beautiful.
Daddy and I love our Sweet Sweet Bridgie. (By the way, Daddy had a birthday last week that I keep thinking I will commemorate on the blog. It's going to happen. Just as soon as I scan all those deliciously awful junior high pictures.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Bridget! She really is a very pretty, very sweet little girl.
Angie

Jen said...

We sent a card on Monday- equals late. I didn't want you to think we forgot. Um....did Brian get a card from us?

Brian said...

What a fun birthday party - thanks to Clara. Bridget needs to learn to share.

Wait! What pictures? You better watch yourself :). The mullet should never be seen again!

-Daddy

Kristi said...

It was a pleasure to be with Gigi on her special day. Now I'm crying after reading your story again. Clara and I are so lucky to have you as our closest friends!

hOLLIANN said...

I can hardly wait for those "deliciously awful" pictures! And what a super story! Bridget is adorable...Having gone through that process, and never having the adoption work out, my heart goes out to you and the mom. No one can truly describe the emotions of the adoption process. It is something else! The craziest part is that Reg and I always talk about how bridget looks like you!

Ashley said...

I like the 'mice' thing. I think it would sound a lot nicer than the 'MINE' Abbey screams when other kids try to go down her slide at the park.

Happy Birthday Bridget! I remember seeing her about this time two years ago and for the first time thinking Abbey looked big! Your story was so sweet, I loved reading it. Whenever Justin and I talk about the struggle of giving away a baby for adoption (which actually comes up a lot, surprisingly) he always brings up you guys. What a lucky girl to come be in your family.

Ashley said...

And I agree! I've always thought Bridget looks more like you than Abbey looks like me :)

Andrea said...

Hmmm, I have seen that cake and cupcakes somewhere before...
I love Bridget's adoption story and I could hear it over and over and over...
She is so sweet and although it goes without saying you two scored big time with her, she is also just as blessed to have such great parents as you and Brian!

Katy said...

Happy Birthday Bridget and Brian! Can't wait to see you all in a few weeks!

Nicole said...

It's true, I bought the cake at Andrea's bakery. After Ashley's story, I wasn't taking any chances. :) Abbey may have her own slide at the park, but does she grab her knees and say accusingly, "MY knees!" Do I look capable of stealing knees?

Why haven't I heard your story before, Holliann? We actually had two fall through before we got Bridget. That's definitely a worse situation. You'll have to tell me about it sometime.