Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Crushing Defeat

I didn't win the Governor's Favorite Pie Contest at the Utah State Fair tonight. I did get this picture, though.
That's Governor Huntsman! (The scared child pointing at me is Bridget.) He and his wife came and brought two of their children. He even tasted every single pie and pretended that he and his wife worked at the Marie Callendar's that used to be on Foothill Dr. when they were teenagers. I guess when you're a politician you have to have a "been-there-done-that" story for every situation. (I shouldn't be mean because he was so kind to everyone and his wife was really nice, too. And tan.)
Out of 18 pies, only two of them were just blueberry (mine was one of those two). Everyone else had added a cream cheese crust, peaches, pineapples, chocolate, or some other crazy something. Whatever. I need to read the directions more thoroughly next time. Creativity was 30% of the overall score. Even the names of the pies were "creative." I called mine "Blueberry Pie." I didn't have any "flare" either. No square of cute fabric, no pictures of the Von Trapp kids (seriously), no paper doilies to tuck into the sides of the pie tin. What was I thinking? I didn't bring my "A" game, that's for sure. I just figured the pie would speak for itself. And holy cow was it delicious. Thanks, Jen, for being so generous with your beautiful blueberry pie filling. Don't tell Ethan we didn't win. Maybe he'll forget all about it.
While we were waiting for the judges we looked around at all the champions. One woman had an entire display with just her canned items. It was impressive, but it included poultry and pork. I'm getting the gag and shivers just thinking about it. Since you couldn't imagine it, I took a picture. We saw some amazing quilts, too. Mostly Brian and Bridget saw the bathroom. She had business three different times during the judging portion of the evening. I had to take her on the third time and let's just say she didn't wear the same pants home.

It was sad not winning, but what a fun contest. We met the governor and now we have a delicious pie to eat on for a few days. :)

10 comments:

Kristina P. said...

How did I miss the giant food tent? Managed to find the arts and crafts one, which some of the items scared me, but food is right up my alley.

Sorry you didn't win. If you need anyone to eat your leftovers, I would be glad to.

Angie said...

Sorry you didn't win. I can't believe the Govenor fell for those publicity stunts. Doilies. Whatever.

Nicole said...

I don't think Governor Huntsman would have fallen for it (one of the pies he went to taste fell off the fancy pedestal it was on and he looked annoyed for a second). He didn't judge the contest, though. It was three ladies with major pie credentials. He was just there for the photo op and to eat food cooked by people he shouldn't trust.

melissa said...

Bummer! Did you get any feedback about your pie? Like "attractive pie"?

Do you think Gov. Hunstman fake bakes? No one should be that tan.

Rae said...

I would be crying right along with Bridget. Governor Huntsman looks orange - like an alien! Scary man!
I've never tasted your blueberry pie, but I am sure it should have won all the awards! You should send some over to my house and I will judge it for sure! I don't even need fancy decorations, either!

hOLLIANN said...

You were robbed...I think blueberry pie is SUPER creative! I would demand a recount.

Seriously though, I am one of those people that never read the rules...laughing right now...I can see the judges..."Blueberry pie - she went all out in the creativity category!"...It still isn't as fun to read the directions, plus, how can you cheat with a clear conscience if you know the rules.

Anyways, I am proud of you for just making the pie and cruising up there.

Nicole said...

Thanks, Holliann. The best was Terry Wood (from KUTV 4) announcing the names of the pies into his microphone. Mine was last. "Blueberry Pie."

I think the Huntsmans are tanorexic together. She's the one in the bright yellow sweater in that shot of all the quilts hanging from the ceiling. I tried all kinds of stuff to make her not orange and it didn't work. Yikes.

Katy said...

How fun that you even entered a pie contest! Was there money involved? Were there any with fun names like, "Naughty Pumpkin Pie" or "I Hate My Husband Pie" like on Waitress?

Ashley said...

Are they trying to go for the 'been-there-done-that' sentiment for skin cancer? If I were the judge, I'd go for the good, plain blueberry pie! The other ones sound like they were just trying too hard.

hOLLIANN said...

Oh, and bridget, I am scared of the governor too...right on ya!