Friday, December 16, 2011

The Lights at Temple Square

I worked at the Church Office Building on Temple Square from 2001 to 2006.  Every year at Christmas time I was asked to play background music on the grand piano in the lobby during an hour of my choosing, once a week in December.  One year it was 4:15 to 5:15 in the evening.  When I was finished, I'd go out to the bus stop to catch my bus home.  One time as I was leaving the building and walking through the middle of Temple Square to my bus stop, every light on every tree suddenly came on.  It was all I could do not to drop to my knees, such a rush of emotion!  I think I did start crying, too.  Of course.  

My experiences seeing the lights on Temple Square with the rest of the masses - looking for parking, standing shoulder to shoulder with other people trying to see the same things - have not been as awe-inspiring, but I still enjoy it and I still want to go there.  If only to remember how I felt that day I saw the lights turn on.  It was fun to take the kids last night and walk all over the place.  Downtown is really looking good. 

No comments: