Saturday, March 17, 2018

Season of Changes Big and Small

It's harder and harder to do blog posts when I'm researching and writing stories for the paper and documenting our daily life on Instagram. It feels like it's already done. Then I see our "yearbooks" that I make out of this blog and it reminds me that I need to do it.

So far 2018 has meant some big changes for our family. The first was our ward splitting in January and our house was in the portion that went to a new (to us) ward, the 18th Ward. Brian was released from the bishopric and I was released from the young women. We went from one or both of us being gone three nights a week plus all day on Sunday to going to nothing for a few weeks. (We filled in the time with jujitsu for the boys and the school play for Bridget.)
 Daddy walking into the new building with Emil and Bridget.

You may recall Bridget got a puppy for Christmas, but she wasn't born until January 12. The breeder sent us photos every week and Penelope kept getting cuter and cuter. She got to our house on March 9. She's already less work than either of our previous outside dogs.
WHO'S A GOOD GIRL?! (Penelope on March 17.)

Emil and Colin at Jujitsu

In February we did all the usual stuff (piano students, birthday parties, jujitsu, violin lessons) and then we went on the road trip to Arches that I had been planning since last October. I saved the cash from my piano students and newspaper stories and paid for three nights at the Red Cliffs Lodge near Moab, Utah. We got there at dinner time and had a nice meal at the restaurant there at Red Cliffs Lodge. Then we went to our cabin right on the Colorado River. Aaaaahhhh!
Saturday morning (February 17) we headed to Arches National Park and waited in a LONG line of cars to get in. The whole reason I like to go in February is because the crowds aren't there, but February was unseasonably warm and everyone was there to take advantage. We got the kids' junior ranger booklets and hiked to Delicate Arch first. (This is the National Park I've been to the most, but we haven't been there since we got an NPS passport and the last time we were there Bridget was five and the boys were one.)
Delicate Arch is a sight to behold even with lots of people hanging around it. I'm always surprised to see people messing around a lot, though, because it's like a giant sink and a kid (or an adult) could go sliding into the drain hole if they're not careful.
The kids and I waited in line to get a photo under Delicate Arch and then Brian joined us and gave the camera to a guy. I know you can barely tell it's us, but it was genuinely thrilling to sit there. Colin is doing Sad Face for some reason. Someone always has to be the stinker.
It seemed like a shame to hike all the way up there and go right back down, so the kids got out their workbooks and did some ranger activities while we soaked in the view.
Right by our Capitol Reef stamp. :)
Emil offered to take the backpack (I wore it on the way up) and he and Bridget held Brian's hands most of the way back to the truck. It was so good to get away and see beautiful nature and bond! I love road trips! The Winter Olympics was still going on while we were in Moab, so we watched some of the events in our cabin and played fun games.
Somewhat balanced near Balanced Rock.
I can stand on my head. For a long time. I regretted not doing a headstand under Delicate Arch almost enough to hike back over there. (We weren't going to get a photo without other humans in it. I love that it happened to be this guy. Hahahaha!)
For one of their ranger activities, the kids were supposed to do certain poses by the arches they found. Done and done.
Brian and the kids had to run up a pretty steep incline to get to this spot, so this pose was in order.
On Sunday we attended the Moab 2nd Ward, then went digging in Brian's truck. A storm was blowing in and the wind was crazy! We went around a lot of tight corners and bounced around in our Sunday clothes.
My hair! Bridget's hair! So windy.
Colin's poses. Ha!
When we got back to our cabin we went to the river and Brian showed the kids how to skip rocks. We didn't spend a lot of time here because it was getting dark and cold, but when we asked the kids what their favorite part of the trip was, Emil said skipping rocks. :)
This is my screensaver on my new laptop. That rock Bridget is about to throw did NOT skip. :)
Monday morning we got packed up again and headed to Arches National Park. We'd made an appointment to hike in the Fiery Furnace. It was much colder and WAY more windy on Monday, so less people. But also, wind.
Before we could go on another hike, though, the Junior Ranger oath was administered. The kids did most of the workbook relaxing in front of the Winter Olympics on Sunday. The park ranger checked everything carefully and asked a bunch of questions. Colin mentioned he'd seen something hiking to Delicate Arch and the ranger said, "You hiked to Delicate Arch! That's all you needed to do!" I was really proud of all three of them - they know the drill at the big parks and they always have a great attitude about learning.
We wore hats and coats and I wore gloves. Still cold. Still got a mouthful of sand every so often. We kept trying to find our way into the maze, but I'm pretty sure we were on the outside of it the whole time.
My hat almost blew away twice! I've even got a ponytail holding it on! That was enough of the Fiery Furnace this time. We'll try it again later.

We stopped at a gas station on our way home and Brian called his Mom and Dad after getting a strange text from one of his friends asking how Hal was doing. Debbie had passed away on Sunday, but they waited to tell us until after our trip. It was a sad ride home thinking about such a heavy loss for Hal and Nate. The following Saturday was Debbie's funeral. Brian gave a lovely talk and I accompanied both musical numbers. It ended up being a really nice service, a beautiful tribute to Debbie's life.
Every time I was with Debbie I was reminded to be more loving to my children and more solicitous of Brian. She often talked about wishing she could cook for them and take care of them the way she wanted to, but her health in the last three years didn't allow for that. I'm really grateful I could know her. She made me a better person.

No comments: