Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Magical Weekend In "Hop City"

Faced with a "use them or lose them" situation on Brian's vacation time, we chose use them and finally took advantage of our free night at the Marriott Mountain Resort in Park City last weekend. We were only going to stay one night, but the room was beautiful and the air was so clean that we stayed two nights.

I explained to Bridget where we were going and how fun it was going to be while we were getting packed. She must not have seen my lips when I said "Park City" because it sounded like "Hop City" to her. The moment we walked into the hotel Bridget asked, "Is this Hop City?" Yes. Yes it is.

No line at the Alpine Slide! (Mostly because Marriott let us check in 3 hours early.)
What's the Alpine Slide? A concrete slide that starts at the top of the mountain (this picture was taken from the chair lift) and goes all the way to the bottom. One gets down the slide in a plastic sled.
Clearly Bridget doesn't know how we're getting down the mountain.
Now it's sinking in. Ahahahahahahaha! (Yeah, right. Like I'd really let my baby ride a sled down the mountain by herself. I just wanted a picture of it.)
See how they're listening closely to the rules of the slide? I was busy taking pictures and only caught the words, "Remember, if you get going too fast it's possible to fly out of the slide." Who? What? What?! Apparently Bridget kept telling Brian to go faster. I was behind them (on the slide next to them) the whole way down.

Then Bridget flew an airplane.
This next photo reminds me of the line in "Bee Movie" when Vanessa discovers the plane has been on auto-pilot when she thought she was flying it, "Turns out I cannot fly a plane."
We spent our second day in Hop City eating The Worst Breakfast Ever at The Corner Store (no thanks, concierge), shopping at the outlets, hiking the mountain behind our hotel, and swimming in the pool (Bridget's favorite thing ever).

The wildflowers are starting to come out. Also, the weeds. And mud. And horse poo. (I didn't get pictures of the latter three.)
Here we are at the top! Otherwise known as the top of where we were willing to go.
Bridget really wanted to take our picture. It's pretty good, don't you think? (Drusilla.)
Bridget and Brian went to the edge to take in the view. We could see our hotel way down below and Bridget exclaimed, "There's Hop City!"
Then she told me she had to go potty. Excellent timing, as always.
Time to take matters into her own hands.
That evening we ate at the Main Street Pizza and Pasta (I think that's the name of it) where we took the conference call from my family to find out that Pesky Little Brother, Aaron, is going to the Peru Lima North Mission. Wahoo! Also we saw this crazy sight:
And my other favorite thing about downtown Park City is the Scanlan Photography Gallery where I bought a notecard with this photo because I love it. The photographers are a husband and wife team who travel all over the world taking mostly still life photos. (The one I bought was taken in Italy.) Their photos make me want to go on a trip or make the world a better place. Something. Very beautiful and inspiring. (I think Angie and I discovered this gallery almost at the same time. Didn't we?)

And now we're home again. Sigh.

5 comments:

Angie said...

Yes, I love that gallery very, very much. I went with Marla and Mom when the family was here.

The pictures are great. Isn't it so green and pretty up there? Best I've ever seen it.

Kristi said...

How cute is that daughter of yours?! I love her so much. And her parents, too. :) Glad you could use the backpack.

melissa said...

Her having to pee face is making me laugh so hard. Chloe wants to know why Bridget is wearing a pink polka-dot hat. I told her I would ask.

hOLLIANN said...

That sounds like a perfect vacation. I love the picture with the horse.

Andrea said...

I love the pictures of Park City! I love that you two took your sweet baby on what really could have been a romantic get-away! Really, I love that you did that.