Thursday, September 4, 2008

Diary of a Cheap Woman: Week Three

I decided to reward myself this last week and hire a maid to make dinner for me and wash the windows. It sounds extravagant, but we're not paying her with money. Unless she finds it in the dryer when she pulls all the clothes out to fold them. No, we're paying her in food, stories, flushing the toilet for her, and hugs if she falls down on the job.

Here she is looking for shells in the eggs she just cracked.
It's so hard to find decent help. Check out how bossy she is when she's cooking.

Here she is during the intro to her song, "It's A Hard Knock Life."
Look at that elbow grease!
I'm just enjoying Bridget loving chores while I can. Soon enough I'm going to have to tell her stories about how the Woodhouse kids in Oakley did all their chores BEFORE school and they LOVED it. Whatever, Woodhouse kids. I have noticed, though, that Bridget is a lot less expensive these days. No diapers or formula and she's not growing out of her clothes as we drive away from the store.

For real, I made and froze several dinners a few Saturdays ago to save myself time during the week. That and the tomatoes in our garden made for a pretty cheap week as far as groceries go. I'm going to need to have another cooking day soon - any suggestions on good meals to freeze? How about a good recipe for homemade creamy tomato soup? Anyone?

P.S. Who else saw Project Runway last night? I'm over Kenley. Why was she in the top 3? Why was she crying every single time the camera was on her? Why did she have to tell the judges that she "nailed it"? And Blayne (sp?) thinking they were going to design for "fashion legend" Mary Kate Olsen?! Doesn't she wear burlap bags and push her belongings around in a shopping cart? What's so legendary about that? I love Leeann's stuff. LOVE IT. Too bad about her hair. And her personality. I'd better put these claws away before someone mentions Suede.


4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I say that the younger the better, when it comes to making children slaves. I have no problem with Walmart using kids in their sweatshops. That's just good business.

And I LOVED Leeann's dress. If I didn't wear knee-length underwear, and weighed about 150 pounds less, I would open an American Express card just to buy her dress.

melissa said...

Melissa loves Suede, but his dress last night was completely wackadoodle. Leeanne's dress was so pretty. Jeff thought so, too. He so loves Project Runway. I'm glad the other not-so-cute chick left so that now I can tell her and Leeanne apart.

hOLLIANN said...

I really do have a soup recipe I made up and liked...roast tomatoes (cut in half - with favorite spices and a drizzle of olive oil. Pull out and pop tomatoes out of skins into pan. Pour juices in and add cream. Yum! So easy! I like my soup a little sweet, so I use orange and yellow tomatoes too.

Andrea said...

Hold still a minute and I promise to get the recipe for creamy tomato soup from my bakery. I work again on Monday. It is to die for! Maybe you should go and try some there first. It really rivals the clam chowder you can't get past. :)