Thursday, July 23, 2009

Localvore Tales

This summer and fall we've decided to eat as much from our garden and local farmers markets as we can. Everywhere I turn I see or hear that eating "seasonally" is the only way to go (most of these people are from California). I'm getting a little better at navigating the markets around here - I've finally learned to bring cash and if something sounds or looks good, I just get it. The longer I think about it, the worse my selection gets. Some good and not-so-good things I've observed...

Salt Lake's Downtown Farmer's Market (Pioneer Park, Saturdays 8:00 am to 1:00 pm)
Lots of food! That's why I'm there - not for the tie-dyed prairie skirts and macaroni necklaces (so rude - there are a lot of really good artists out there selling stuff, but it seems like the most inexplicable items are in the forefront). The main drag (running from east to west along 3rd South) is where all the really good stuff is. They have meat, fish, cheese, vegetables, fruits, breads. It's wonderful.

Parking is somewhat difficult, but most people are in and out, so you can find a spot pretty quickly. When I was there two weeks ago it was about 11:00 am and some of the beef options were gone - go early for the good stuff and less heat. Also, plenty of crazy people hang around, I'm guessing all day, for your people-watching pleasure.

Provo Farmer's Market (Pioneer Park, 500 West Center St, Saturdays 9:00 am to 2:00 pm)
This was more like a taco farmers market. If I had come to get a taco at 9:00 in the morning, I would have been in heaven! Alas, I was there for vegetables and such. No meat, no cheese. I asked one woman what type of lettuce she was selling and she didn't know. (What?) There was a young woman who wasn't under a tent and didn't have a table or cash box, and yet she had vegetables laid out in a circle around her on the grass. Um, I'm not buying that. I did get some yummy soap (good for swearers) and a bath "bomb" that I haven't used yet. A little scared. I also bought some mini doughnuts that I wish I had right now.

A few good vegetable booths and tacos, tacos, tacos. Also, parking is easy and free.

Park City Farmer's Market (The parking lot of The Canyons Resort, Wednesdays 12 noon to 7:00 pm)
This is my favorite farmers market, but it takes too long to get there and back. Bah. It has everything! I even bought tomatoes because I can't stand it any longer - I needed a BLT! (I have tomatoes that are about a week away from eating and I'm sure I'll be sick of them at some point...) I found blueberries from Cache Valley (who knew?), blackberries, a roast from the Larsen Ranch, two phlox plants that I didn't even know I needed. And Volker's Bakery has a pizza oven right there with fresh baked pizzas. I love it.

Plenty of close, free parking. It's just a pain to get there. Luckily I have nothing better to do. :)

8 comments:

hOLLIANN said...

I want to go...that sounds fun. I also heard that while at the farmers market in SLC to stop by and get belgian waffles at some belgian place... and french fries...originated in Belgium I guess...never knew. Sorry for using so many dots on an english major's blog, it probably drives you nuts!

Allison and Noah Riley said...

I miss this most about Utah. Our place is downtown SLC, on 300 South - so our Saturday drill was always a walk to the farmer's market to fill up our cloth bag with goodies (and the weekly loaf from Volker's. Mmmm.).

Noah actually revisitied his youth and sold cherries from the family orchard the past two summers. It was mainly for nostalgia's sake, so the Riley family cherries were the best deal at the market. :)

Mom said...

Shall I bring some of our chives to trade at the farmer's market? :) I love the fruit stands on 800 N. in Orem and, of course, in Brigham City. The Raleigh farmers market still beats everything!

amylouwhosews said...

sounds awesome! Except the 9 AM tacos. I love Volker's bakery! yum!

allyn said...

too bad we don't live in places that have the fresh markets on every street. let's all move to europe.

are you finding this to be an expensive life style or is it pretty comparable to grocery stores?

allyn said...

bridget looks so cute in that dress :)

Nicole said...

She does, doesn't she?! And she's very into who gave her stuff, so it was cool to say Aunt Allyn made it. :)

So far it's been about the same amount of money b/c we're getting a lot of the food from our garden. The meat is definitely more expensive, but we're also eating less of it. If I had piano students right now it would never work. (I'm getting to know my food. That's what David's mother suggested.:))

Andrea said...

I left town for 3 days and I came home to all sorts of red tomatoes and 6 zucchini baseball bats! And if you need some fresh cilantro, come on over! I have way more than I will ever turn into salsa! Help us eat!
How about the Friday FM at Thanksgiving Point? How does that one compare? I am just too lazy to drive any farther than that.