Monday, March 17, 2008

I've Made A Huge Mistake

I made my computer sick last Friday and it died on Saturday night. Something that looked familiar popped up (in my way, of course) and I clicked "okay" when it was not okay. It's been a difficult time at our house. Secretly it's only been difficult for me. Brian has this laptop and Bridget has her baby doll's stroller to sit in. I filled the void with a little vacuuming, a lot of laundry, making two dinners (freezing one for the inevitable night in the near future when I won't feel like cooking), and finishing a long book with lots of big words in it. I also watched five minutes of Rachael Ray as I was folding laundry. She was making a giant meat roll (seriously, it looked like a Nerf football). Shiver. When she started grating Parmesan cheese over it, the audience freaked out clapping and carrying on. What IS that?! It's cheese. Rachael Ray didn't invent it and she's using a cheese grater exactly like the one they use at home. Why clap?


The book I finished was Atonement by Ian McEwan. Another one I hesitate to recommend to most of the people I know, but I was completely blown away by it. The story is told from several overlapping perspectives. I was fascinated that a person who witnessed the same thing as another character could see it so differently. Fascinating because life is exactly that way. It made me think about how I can never know what another person is thinking no matter how well I know that person. Also, McEwan gives proper weight and consequence to language - one word in particular is the unraveling of several lives. I can't decide if that excuses him from using it in the first place. (Is it snobby of me that I didn't want to buy the edition of Atonement with the actors from the movie on the cover? I also removed the sticker that said, "NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE" as I was leaving the book store. Sometimes when I think I want to read a book and I see that it's an Oprah pick, I don't read it instead.)

Tomorrow I'll probably write my long overdue autobiography since my house is clean and I don't have a computer. More likely, I'll give in to Bridget's demands of "COAT!" "SHOES!" and go outside to wander aimlessly with her.

3 comments:

Allison and Noah Riley said...

Is this post's title a tribute to Arrested Development? :)

Nicole said...

Of course! Any time I can pay tribute to Arrested Development, I do it. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I'm glad you liked Atonement. It is fascinating, isn't it? I kept thinking about it for days after reading it. I got caught up in Briony, and trying to figure out what was going on with her at the beginning when she made her huge mistake, and how she lived with it for the rest of her life. So interesting. I still think about it sometimes.

Always fun to read the blog.
Angie

PS - I wrote to you last week. Did you get it? Maybe not with your computer being down.