Monday, January 31, 2011

Family History Photo Monday: Lloyd Smith Furniss 1918 - 2011

My sweet little Grandpa Lloyd passed away last Saturday morning.  I happened to be feeding a baby at about 3:45 that morning and as I was finishing up I had the thought that Grandpa would get to do all the traveling he wants now.  I was so hoping I would be able to visit him one more time and show him my new babies.  He loves "little tads" - he was always so tender and gentle with babies and children.  Grandpa had a stroke in 1995 while I was serving my mission and he really hasn't been the same man since.  He was still funny, though, and never complained about having to stick around for such a long time after Grandma died. 

I have many images of my Grandpa to call upon when I miss him - sitting at the kitchen table at his house with a newspaper or a magazine, combing his amazing hair with one of those small black combs, behind the camera, walking with his orange backpack that always had a book or magazine in it, sitting at his card table labeling photos.  My favorite memory of Grandpa includes my Grandma, too.  I took a cross country road trip with them in 1992.  Just the three of us.  We stopped often and Grandpa always took his camera out to capture something.  When I was at Ricks, he would sometimes send me a $20 - it was always very timely since I never had any money.  And he did it anonymously.  I didn't find out he was the one sending me money until after his stroke when all of his filters were gone.  I was sitting with him one day when he started to cry a little and said, "I remember when you were at Ricks and I was so worried about you that I would put $20 in an envelope and send it your way."  He always took great care of the people he loved.  I treasure my memories of him.

7 comments:

Angelyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angelyn said...

What a neat man. How cool that you were able to name Colin after him. I'm sorry that he is gone and pray that you will feel peace.

Jill said...

I'm sorry about your Grandpa. I was thinking about mine the other day. Thinking about how much I miss him. Grandpa's are the best. I know he would have loved to see your 'tads.'

Angie said...

I am sorry. That's a great picture of him - he looks like a movie star.

Jen said...

I've never seen this photo. What a beautiful man. I'm excited to see your little tads :) Feeling so nostalgic...

Mr and Mrs C said...

Nicole, so sorry to hear that your Grandpa passed away. It sounds like you have lots of wonderful memories to treasure. He seems to have been a great man...what a blessing to your family. Thanks for always sharing so much of you.

allyn said...

that picture is amazing. i wonder who took that and if he was posing or if he just happen to be in art class and was trying to come up with a subject. thanks for posting. he definitely handed down some strong personality genes and aren't we grateful. it is sad to have him gone.